A couple of days back, I was watching a famous Hindi film. The professor asks the students to define a machine.
The hero gets up and says, ‘Anything that makes it easy for humans, is a machine.’ The explanation appears simple, but it packs a powerful punch.
I remember these words whenever I use my washing machine to wash my household clothes.
I must confess that I have not seen a modern house today that does not have a washing machine.
We shall now discuss some of the best washing machines available in India in 2020.
- Best Washing Machines in India
- 1. Bosch 7Kg Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine – WAK24168IN
- 2. IFB 8Kg Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine – Senator Aqua SX
- 3. LG 8.0Kg Inverter Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine FH2G6TDNL42
- 4. IFB 6Kg Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine – Diva Aqua SX
- 5. LG 6 Kg Inverter Fully Automatic Front-loading washing machine – FH0FANDNL02.ABWPEPL
- 6. Samsung 6.5Kg Inverter Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine – WW65M206L0W/TL
- 7. LG 6.5 Kg Inverter Fully Automatic Top-Loading Washing Machine – T7581NDDLG.ASFPEIL
- 8. IFB 6.5 Kg Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine TL-RDW 6.5 Kg Aqua
- 9. Whirlpool 7 Kg Fully Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – White magic Elite 7.0
- 10. Samsung 7.2 Kg Semi-Automatic Top-Loading Washing Machine WT725QPNDMPXTL
- 11. Whirlpool 7.2 Kg Semi-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – Ace Supreme Plus 7.2
- Washing Machine Buying Guide
- Fully Automatic Machines Vs Semi-Automatic Washing Machines
- Semi-Automatic Washing Machines
- Advantages of a semi-automatic washing machine
- Disadvantages of a semi-automatic washing machine
- Fully Automatic Washing Machines
- Benefits of a Fully Automatic Washing machine
- Drawbacks of a Fully Automatic Washing machine
- Front-Loading Washing machines Vs Top Loading Washing machines
- Washing Machine Capacity
- Washing machine features
- Aspects to look out for when selecting the right washing machine
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Washing Machines in India
1. Bosch 7Kg Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine – WAK24168IN
Bosch is one of the reputed international brands of washing machines that has a tremendous Indian market. German technology is visible in every act of this washing machine as it makes the job of the homemaker easy. The prominent features of this Bosch washing machine are,
The homemaker can trust Bosch washing machines with their excellent features to protect their new and expensive clothes from damage.
The device features an EcoSilence Drive Motor that makes the minimum noise up to 49 decibels. The Anti-vibration design ensures greater stability by reducing vibrations.
The machine can work on water pressure as low as 0.3 bar, thereby making it an ideal device to work in high rise buildings, as well. The appliance comes with a free water filter that can fit into various tap designs.
Other notable features include Child Lock to enable you to lock all functions and prevent them from any tampering. The Volt Check feature ensures that the washing machine resumes working from the same position after a power failure.
- Capable of working with low water input pressure
- Noiseless and vibration-free performance
- Saves time, and thereby power
- Easy to clean the drum and other parts of the machine
- Best washing machine under 30,000
- The device is a heavy one, and hence not easily movable
- It can get heated up when running at the top speed of 1200 rpm
2. IFB 8Kg Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine – Senator Aqua SX
IFB is also one of the leading manufacturers of fully automatic front-loading washing machines in India. Performance-wise, these machines are as good as the Bosch washing machines in almost all respects. The excellent features of this IFB washing machine make it one of the best front-load washing machines in India in 2020.
The highlight of the IFB washing machine is the Air Bubble Wash feature that ensures the formation of millions of air bubbles to penetrate deep into the fabric structure and remove the stubborn dirt.
This washing machine features an innovative arrangement, Aqua Energie. It is a filter treatment that dissolves detergents better to give a softer wash.
The Auto Balance system detects unbalanced clothes automatically and redistributes them to maintain a consistent wash.
This washing machine comes with excellent safety features like voltage protection and child lock. Your children will not be able to change the settings after you fix them. The voltage protection feature ensures to protect your appliance from high voltage fluctuations.
- An excellent capacity that allows washing a large load at one go
- High spin speed drier clothes
- Easy to operate control options
- In-built heater for enabling a hot water wash
- Does not fit all tap sizes
3. LG 8.0Kg Inverter Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine FH2G6TDNL42
Home appliances and LG go hand in hand. Indian homemakers trust LG more than any other product because of the excellent combination of outstanding performance and aesthetic appeal. This LG fully automatic front-loading washing machine is one of the best washing machines in India today.
LG washing machines are complete in all respects. This model comes with a high-quality 6-motion Direct Drive motor to reduce vibration and noise.
The inverter motor system saves energy, as well. Another advantage of the 6-motion DD technology is that it enables the movement of the wash drum in multiple directions to provide a high-quality washing experience.
Cleaning the wash drum is also convenient, as the tub cleaning feature ensures heating of water up to 850C to remove dirt and water stains.
The SmartThinQ app can connect to the washing machine and detect up to 86 errors. Thus, you save time and money in case the machine develops any mechanical or electrical problem. The Child Lock feature enables you to disable the control panel, thereby ensuring that your child does not fiddle with the controls.
- Adequate capacity to cater to large loads
- Vibration-free operation
- Hot water wash to remove germs and bacteria
- Inverter motor helps in conserving energy
- Slightly on the expensive side, but excellent discounts are available on Amazon
4. IFB 6Kg Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine – Diva Aqua SX
IFB washing machines come in various sizes and capacities. This 6Kg washing machine should prove ideal for small families. This washing machine comes with features similar to that of the one discussed earlier. Here are the excellent options available that ensure a convenient washing experience.
The IFB washing machine discussed earlier is a bigger machine with more advanced features. However, this appliance is also one of the best front-loading washing machines in its segment.
It features a 2D washing system to ensure adequate soaking before delivering an excellent washing experience.
This washing machine features an Auto Balance System to balance your clothes properly. This system senses unbalanced clothes and redistributes them to provide a stable and consistent wash.
Another quality of IFB that attracts homemakers is the extensive service network of the company. Help is always near at hand whenever you experience any issue with the device. This appliance comes with a 4-year warranty on the product and the motor.
- Excellent performance
- Water softening device available to enable better dissolution of the detergents
- Inbuilt heater to ensure better cleaning
- Aesthetic looks
- An issue with the fitting, as it does not fit all tap sizes
- Needs an adapter arrangement
5. LG 6 Kg Inverter Fully Automatic Front-loading washing machine – FH0FANDNL02.ABWPEPL
LG has a fantastic reputation to maintain as a manufacturer of some of the best front-loading washing machines in India. Homemakers prefer LG because of its excellent performance. The LG washing machines are available in various sizes. This washing machine model comes with the following attractive features.
LG front-load washing machines come with inverter motor and Direct Drive technology that eliminates the use of belts and pulleys. Therefore, it reduces the noise and vibrations considerably while extending the lifespan of the appliance.
The 6-motion DD technology enables the drum to spin in multiple directions to provide a high-quality washing experience to your clothes. The presence of the inbuilt heater system allows heating water up to 600C to remove almost all stains from your clothes.
This appliance is a safe one because it comes with Child Lock features to disable the settings and prevent the children from tampering with the same. The Auto Restart option is an excellent one as it resumes the washing cycle from where it left off during the power outage.
Diagnosing any problem with the device is easy with the help of SmartThinQ app. You can operate the machine using your smartphone to detect nearly 86 errors, thereby saving time and money.
- SmartThinQ app feature saves time and money
- Multiple wash options to ensure high quality
- Excellent features time delay start, and Child lock
- Inbuilt heater
- Water softener feature is not available
6. Samsung 6.5Kg Inverter Fully Automatic Front-Loading Washing Machine – WW65M206L0W/TL
Samsung is another reputed manufacturer of consumer appliances in India. This washing machine is one of the stand-out devices from Samsung. Its excellent features ensure that this washing machine is the best washing machine under Rs 30,000.
Samsung washing machines come with digital inverter motor to deliver a high degree of efficiency. The company advertises an exceptionally long-lasting performance for up to 20 years.
It comes with several exciting features to qualify as one of the best front-loading washing machines in India.
This washing machine features a Quick Wash program that lets you wash soiled clothes effectively and quickly, thereby proving helpful when you have a shortage of time on your hands.
Samsung’s Volt Control technology can help you avoid damage to your machines caused by voltage fluctuations. This machine can withstand voltage fluctuations up to 25%, whereby it shuts off automatically if there is a higher level of deviation. The device restarts automatically after the stabilisation of the voltage.
- Inverter motor saves time, energy, and money
- Diamond drum provides a gentle wash
- Quick wash program to save time
- High-quality performance
- Has issues when the water pressure is low
7. LG 6.5 Kg Inverter Fully Automatic Top-Loading Washing Machine – T7581NDDLG.ASFPEIL
From front-loading washing machines, we shall move on to top-loading washing machines. LG is one of the prominent manufacturers of the top-loading washing machines in India. Indian homemakers prefer to opt for the fully automatic top-loading washing machines for obvious reasons. This washing machine thus ranks as one of the best top loading washing machines in India.
LG believes in innovation. Thus, you find this top-loading washing machine coming with innovative features like Smart Inverter technology that can adjust the energy consumption at the optimum level in accordance with the necessary power.
This LG washing machine comes with BMC Motor Protection against dust, insects, and humidity.
Hence, you have a long-lasting product on hand. The Tub Clean feature ensures to sterilise the inner as well as the outer tub.
Another highlight is the Auto Restart feature that ensures you do not waste time. The machine restarts from the same cycle where it stopped during any power cut. The Child Lock settings enable you to disable the control panel and prevent any tampering.
- Inverter motor to save power and reduce noise
- Smooth handling
- Excellent performance
- Easy to troubleshoot
- Does not have a hot water washing option
8. IFB 6.5 Kg Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine TL-RDW 6.5 Kg Aqua
Usually, you find IFB washing machines with front-loading types alone. However, sensing the popularity of the top-loading washing machines in India, IFB has also come up with a couple of excellent top-loading washing machine options. This appliance should qualify as one of the best washing machines under Rs 20,000.
The highlight of this IFB top loading fully automatic washing machine is that it comes with eight water levels, thereby making it easy for the user. The device comes with a large LED display that also enhances its appearance.
The Deep Clean feature provides a magical experience by acting tough on stains and gentle on fabrics. It is accompanied by a Triadic Pulsator Cleaning Engine to bring a sparkle to your clothes.
The High Low Voltage Protection feature protects the machine from extreme voltage fluctuations. One of the most useful features is the bubble leveller that balances the machine while reducing the vibration effect. Thus, it extends the life span of the appliance.
It is an environmentally friendly machine by reusing the last rinse water for soaking clothes the next time you use the device.
- Excellent performance with the least amount of noise
- Takes care of your clothes by maintaining its softness and freshness
- Hard water processing feature enables easy dissolution of detergents
- Environmentally friendly appliance
- No provision for hot water wash
- Does not have Inverter motor technology
9. Whirlpool 7 Kg Fully Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – White magic Elite 7.0
Whirlpool is one of the most popular washing machine brands when it comes to top loading fully automatic machines and semi-automatic machines. Smart sensors in the device enable it to save power while ensuring high-quality performance. This Whirlpool washing machine is one of the best top loading washing machines under Rs 20000.
Whirlpool Whitemagic Elite comes with an innovative 6th sense technology to provide one of the best washing experiences you will ever get. The best aspect of this machine is that it performs exceedingly well even with hard water.
The Spa Wash system has a unique prime move and drum combination to deliver the perfect wash with 40% fewer tangles. This system works even when the water pressure is low by using ZPT technology and filling the drum 50% faster.
The machine comes with the legendary 123 Wash and Power Scrub to eliminate dirt completely. The control panel is situated at a convenient angle that allows you to operate it efficiently.
The Zero Pressure fill technology allows filling up the washing drum with water even when the water pressure is low.
Other exciting features include Delay Wash, Auto Tub Clean, Aqua Store, and Tempered Glass for the door. The Child Lock is an excellent safety feature whereby your children cannot tamper with the machine settings.
- 6th sense technology to ensure high-quality performance
- Does not leave any detergent residue
- Smart sensors to indicate low voltage
- Excellent safety features
- No hot water washing feature
- Inverter motor is not available
10. Samsung 7.2 Kg Semi-Automatic Top-Loading Washing Machine WT725QPNDMPXTL
From the fully automatic washing machines, we move on to the semi-automatic washing machines. These machines have a good market, as well. First-time users of washing machines should always learn the ropes on a semi-automatic washing machine. Samsung washing machines are some of the best semi-automatic washing machines in India.
Semi-automatic machines have their benefits. This washing machine comes with an Air Turbo Drying system that dries your clothes as you spin them in the rinse tub.
The EZ wash tray serves as a multi-utility tray. One useful feature of the tray is that you can use it as a scrub board to remove stubborn dirt from collars and cuff links. One can also use the tray to close the spin tub.
The lint filter catches the lint and foreign substances from your fabrics to ensure a clean wash. The sleek design and attractive colours make it one of the favourite washing machines of the Indian homemaker.
The anti-corrosive plastic body ensures long life to the device.
The machine comes with convenience features like a buzzer to inform you when the washing is over. It also features a 2-way inner handle making it easy for you to move the machine around the place.
- Worth every rupee you spend on it
- Excellent performance for a semi-automatic machine
- Lint filter and scrub pads are excellent additions
- Exquisite appearance
- Plastic body can encourage the accumulation of moulds if you do not maintain the appliance properly
11. Whirlpool 7.2 Kg Semi-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – Ace Supreme Plus 7.2
Whirlpool is a leading manufacturer of semi-automatic washing machines in India. It has some of the best products that deliver excellent washing experiences by making it extremely easy for the Indian homemaker. This washing machine comes with several attractive but useful features.
Whirlpool ACE Supreme Plus washing machine comes with unique features like Wash Station. This arrangement enables the user to sort and stack the clothes and allows them to carry the laundry, as well.
This washing machine comes equipped with a lint filter to collect lint and other foreign particles from your fabrics, thereby enabling your clothes to come out clean every time.
Whirlpool endeavours to make things easy for the homemaker. This washing machine is a light one that makes it easy for the user to push around from one place to another.
It comes with a perfectly-placed drain hose to ensure that the wastewater drains out entirely from the machine.
In short, this washing machine qualifies as the best washing machine under Rs 10,000 in India.
- Great looks complemented by excellent performance
- Impeller enables gentle washing to take care of your fabrics
- Lint filter to collect unwanted lint and fibres that can go on to clog the drains
- Wash Station facility to place your clothes
- The machine tends to wobble at the time of the spin cycle
Washing Machine Buying Guide
Before we go into the actual buying guide, we shall clear out some jargons that washing machine manufacturers always use to confuse people.
You cannot blame the manufacturers in any way. It is an age-old marketing trick.
“If you cannot convince the buyer into buying your product, confuse him/her.”
Don’t worry, we are here to dispel all these doubts and put the confusion to rest.
Fully Automatic Machines Vs Semi-Automatic Washing Machines
Washing machines come in two modes, semi-automatic and fully automatic. Let us now discuss both these modes separately before comparing them.
Semi-Automatic Washing Machines
A semi-automatic washing machine comprises of two tubs, a washtub and a rinse tub, also known as the spin tub.
As the name suggests, the washtub is used for washing your clothes, whereas the rinse tub serves the purpose of rinsing the washed clothes. The mechanism is simple.
You put your clothes into the washtub. Since it is a semi-automatic washing machine, you have to add the water and detergent manually. There are no options for supplying water automatically to the device.
Select the wash cycle depending on your requirements. Soiled clothes require a heavy wash, whereas regular clothes can do with a simple wash cycle.
On the completion of the wash cycle, you have to select the drain mode to drain the dirty water out of the machine.
Manually transfer the clothes from the washtub into the spin tub. As you operate the spin cycle, the rinsing of the clothes takes place to remove the excess detergent from the clothes.
Finally, you remove the rinsed clothes from the machine and hang it out to dry.
Advantages of a semi-automatic washing machine
- Though there is some manual labour involved, the semi-automatic washing machine does make your job simpler than before.
- The semi-automatic washing machines use less water when compared to a fully automatic machine, thereby helping you to conserve water.
- As you add water to the machine, you have the option to add warm water. All the fully automatic washing machines do not come with a hot water washing option.
- The semi-automatic washing machine consumes less power because of the faster washing and rinsing cycle. Therefore, you save time, as well.
- Finally, the semi-automatic washing machines cost considerably less than the fully automatic counterparts.
Disadvantages of a semi-automatic washing machine
- There is some amount of manual labour involved such as filling the washtub with water and transferring clothes from the washtub to the spin tub after the completion of the washing cycle.
- The semi-automatic washing machines are simple appliances that do not come with advanced features, usually available on fully automatic washing machines.
- The spin tub rinses the clothes but does not dry them. Some of the fully automatic washing machines have drying arrangements, as well.
Fully Automatic Washing Machines
The very name suggests that the washing mechanism is fully automatic in these machines.
Using these machines is easy. You do not have to do much work except set the timer and other washing controls depending on the extent of soiling, nature of clothes, and the type of wash you need.
The only manual job is to add the clothes into the machine and add the detergent.
On setting the timings and controls, the device works automatically to set the water levels accordingly.
It proceeds to complete the washing cycle and drains the water on its own.
The spinning cycle commences automatically after the draining is over. At the end of the operation, you get thoroughly clean semi-dry clothes that you have to remove manually. It does save a lot of labour for the homemaker.
Benefits of a Fully Automatic Washing machine
- There is a minimal amount of manual labour involved in the washing procedure in the fully automatic washing machine.
- These appliances come with various advanced features like Steam Wash, Inverter Direct Drive technology, Turbo Drum, Auto Pre-Wash options, and Turbo Wash options, among many others. We shall discuss these aspects later on in this article.
- Some of the latest automatic washing machines come with NFC compatibility, thereby enabling you to control the device using apps like Alexa and so on.
Drawbacks of a Fully Automatic Washing machine
- The controls are automatic. Hence, there is not much one can do about controlling water usage. These machines consume more water than semi-automatic washing machines.
- Secondly, these machines require optimum water pressure to work efficiently.
- The cost factor is a crucial one. Fully automatic washing machines are more expensive when compared to the semi-automatic ones.
- Fully automatic washing machines consume more energy. They are also heavier in comparison.
|Semi-Automatic Washing Machines||Fully Automatic Washing Machines|
|More manual labour||Less labour and more of automation|
|Cheaper in comparison||Comparatively expensive|
|Saves water and electricity||Consumes more water and power|
|Does not have many options||Comes with various options|
There are generally, two types of fully automatic washing machines, the front-loading washing machines, and the top-loading washing machines.
Front-Loading Washing machines Vs Top Loading Washing machines
People in India are used to using semi-automatic washing machines. Hence, they naturally graduate to top-loading washing machines.
However, users abroad prefer front-loading washing machines to top-loading ones. Both these categories of fully automatic washing machines have their merits and demerits.
Compared to the top-loading machines, the front-loaders save water. One can say that the front-loading devices consume half the quantity of water that top-loading machines do.
Clothes are lighter than water when they are dry. Therefore, they tend to float on water.
Hence, you need more water to soak and drown them completely. On the other hand, a front-loading machine works with a tumbling action, thereby ensuring that clothes need less water to soak.
Thus, the front-loading devices have longer time cycles when compared to top loaders.
In countries abroad, people prefer to use a hot water wash. The advantage of the fully automatic washing machine is that the latest ones come with a hot water wash option.
The front-loading washing machine uses less water and hence takes less time to heat it as well. Therefore, the front-loading machines consume less power in comparison with the top-loading washing machines.
As the front-loading machine uses less water, the device has a shorter drying cycle, thereby ensuring to save electricity.
The situation is different in India. In our country, people still use cold water to wash their clothes. Under such circumstances, there is a considerable saving in electricity.
Besides, Indians do not use the drying cycle as much as their foreign counterparts do. Therefore, the top-loading machines in India consume less power when compared to front-loaders.
Compared to the front loaders, the top-loading machines do a better cleaning job. The top-loading washing machines save space because the door is located on the top of the machine.
In a front loader, you need a lot of space in front of the machine to open the door.
When you compare the prices of a front-loading and top-loading machine, the front loader is more expensive.
This table will highlight the difference between the front-loading and top-loading washing machines in a nutshell.
|Front-loading washing machines||Top Loading washing machines|
|Consumes less water||Uses more water for soaking and washing|
|Electricity consumption depends on the type of wash you select. In foreign countries, the front-loaders are energy-saving appliances||In India, top loaders consume less electricity because people do not opt for hot water wash|
|Comparatively expensive||Less expensive than the front-loaders|
|Occupies more space||Less space occupation|
Now that you have a concise understanding of the different types of washing machines in India, and their merits and demerits, we shall proceed with the complete buying guide.
Washing Machine Capacity
The first thing to look at is the size and capacity of the washing machine. In India, you observe washing machines with a capacity between 5kg and 10kg.
The smaller the family, the lesser will be the clothes. Hence, the size of the family determines the capacity of the washing machine. This chart should help you decide the appropriate washing machine capacity for your home.
|Size of the family||Average Clothes||Ideal Capacity|
|Single person or couples||About 10 clothes||5Kg to 6Kg|
|A small family of three members||10 to 12 clothes||6Kg to 7Kg|
|Medium-sized family of four members||12 to 15 clothes||7Kg to 8Kg|
|A large family consisting of more than four members||More than 15 clothes||10Kg|
The frequency of washing also decides the size and capacity of the machine. The above table should be ideal if you prefer to wash your clothes daily.
However, if you accumulate your clothes and space out your washing programmes, it is advisable to opt for washing machines with higher capacity.
Washing machine features
Aspects to look out for when selecting the right washing machine
The latest washing machines available in the market are technologically advanced gadgets.
They come with excellent features that make your job easy. Now, that is what a machine is supposed to do, isn’t it? However, one should keep these simple things in mind when checking out the washing machines.