Groundwater is not the purest form of water.
It has visible and invisible impurities. It comes with a generous proportion of TDS. Hence, the taste seems brackish or salty.
Water from natural sources like rivers and lakes get contaminated with the human, plant, animal, and industrial waste.
Municipalities add chlorine or fluorine to the groundwater to get rid of viruses and bacteria.
Despite these efforts, our tap water contains harmful chemicals.
Therefore, installing a high-quality water purifier should be a priority for every home in India.
In the meanwhile, we shall look at some of the best water purifiers available in India in 2020
- Best Water Purifier in India
- 1. Kent New Grand 8L RO + Double UV + UF + TDS Controller
- 2. AO Smith Z9 Green RO 10L RO + SCMT Water Purifier
- 3. HUL Pureit Copper+ Mineral RO + UV + UF 7-Stage water purifier
- 4. Blue Star Majesto MA4BSAM02 8L RO + UV Water Purifier
- 5. Faber Galaxy RO + UF + MAT – 7-stage water purifier
- 6. LG Puricare WW150NP RO + UV Water purifier
- 7. Faber Galaxy Plus RO + UV + UF + MAT 9L water purifier
- 8. Havells Max-Alkaline 7-litre RO + UV Water Purifier
- 9. Kent 11087 Pride TC Mineral RO Water Purifier
- 10. Eureka Forbes Aquasure – RO + UV + MTDS Water Purifier
- 11. Kent Maxx 7-litres Wall Mountable/Table-Top UV + UF water purifier
- Water Purifier Buying Guide
- Test the tap water
- How do you use the TDS meter?
- TDS – Totally Dissolved Solids
- Different Types of Water Purification Systems
- RO Water Purifier – Working principle
- Comparison between different water purification systems
- Reverse Osmosis vs Ultra-Violet (RO vs UV)
- Reverse Osmosis vs Ultra-Filtration (RO vs UF)
- Ultra-Violet vs Ultra-Filtration (UV vs UF)
Best Water Purifier in India
1. Kent New Grand 8L RO + Double UV + UF + TDS Controller
Kent is one of the top brands of water purifiers available in the Indian market. This trusted brand has many models that are suited for Indian homes and offices. This water purifier comes with patented Mineral RO technology and an inbuilt TDS controller.
The Kent New Grand appliance comes with a multi-stage purification process to ensure delivery of pure water.
The RO purification process ably supported by UV and UF ensures the elimination of visible and invisible pollutants like viruses, bacteria, TDS, and other heavy metals.
The water purifier features an 8-litre water storage tank. It can purify at a rate of 20 litres per hour, thereby ensuring a continuous supply of pure water.
Kent Grand has all the qualities that the best water purifier should have.
- Patented Mineral RO technology
- New Save Water Technology
- Multi-stage purification
- Adequate storage capacity
- Filters need regular replacement thereby increasing the overall cost
2. AO Smith Z9 Green RO 10L RO + SCMT Water Purifier
AO Smith is a reputed international brand of water purifiers available in the Indian market at affordable prices.
One of the significant advantages of AO Smith Z9 water purifier is the patented Advance Recovery Technology.
This technology allows the appliance to save two times more water than the standard RO water purifier. It also ensures minimum wastage of essential minerals during the RO purification process.
The water level indicator is a handy tool to help you judge the level of pure water in the 10L food-grade water storage can. Another innovative feature is the presence of a drip tray that ensures you do not mess around the place with water spillages.
The aesthetic looks of the AO Smith Z9 Green water purifier make it one of the best purifiers for water with TDS levels up to 2000ppm.
- Hot and cold-water options
- Aesthetic appearance
- Less wastage of water
- Low power consumption
- Water refill process starts only when the water level reaches 50% capacity
- Unable to dispense water in the absence of electricity
3. HUL Pureit Copper+ Mineral RO + UV + UF 7-Stage water purifier
Copper has water purification qualities. It explains why our forefathers used copper vessels for storing water. HUL Pureit uses the same principle in designing this water purifier.
This appliance infuses the health benefits of copper in 100% RO purified water. Thus, you have one of the best water purifiers for home working day and night to ensure an uninterrupted stream of pure and healthy water for your family.
The water purification consists of a seven-stage process that includes the use of,
HUL Pureit water purifier comes with additional features like Double Purity Lock that ensures the machine does not dispense a single drop of unsafe water.
The Advance Alert System alerts you 15 days before the expiry of the Germkill Kit. The Auto Shut-Off feature shuts off water purification and supply after the expire of the Germkill Kit.
- Advantage of copper purification
- The 7-stage water purification process
- Automatic shut off feature
- Wastes around 650 ml for every litre of water during the RO purification process
4. Blue Star Majesto MA4BSAM02 8L RO + UV Water Purifier
Blue Star is a reputed manufacturer of consumer durables, especially the air conditioning systems and refrigerators. The Blue Star brand of water purifiers is also one of the best water purifiers in India in 2020 for hard water purification.
This feature-loaded water purifier is ideal for handling input water sources having TDS levels up to 2000.
One of the highlights of this water purification system is the use of Aqua Booster that enhances the taste of RO purified water by replenishing the minerals lost during the purification process.
The Majesto should be an ideal addition to your modern kitchen because of its exquisite looks and performance.
- Child-lock feature prevents accidental spillover
- Aqua booster enhances the taste of water
- Good performance with sleek looks
- No TDS controller or Mineraliser feature to replenish lost minerals during RO purification
5. Faber Galaxy RO + UF + MAT – 7-stage water purifier
Faber Galaxy water purifier comes with an innovative Mineral Enhancement Technology known as MAT to deliver 100% pure and healthy drinking water for your entire family.
The company claims that it can handle water with TDS levels up to 2500. Therefore, it should rank as one of the best water purifiers in India for hard water.
This water purifier comes in a wall-mountable design with a storage tank capacity of nine litres to ensure an adequate supply of water for the entire family. The seven-stage water purification process includes the following.
The water filter can work with all kinds of water, including groundwater, borewell water, municipality-treated water, and so on. Hence, it is an ideal one for use in homes as well as offices.
- The high storage capacity of nine litres
- Mineral Addition Technology to replenish lost minerals
- 7-stage filtration process
- Elegant appearance
- Does not come with UV purification
6. LG Puricare WW150NP RO + UV Water purifier
LG is a renowned consumer appliance manufacturer in India. The success of LG air conditioners, TVs, and refrigerators should be proof that Indian consumers trust LG to deliver exceptional performances. This LG Puricare water purifier does not disappoint in any way.
The WW150NP water purifier comes with a dual protection stainless steel tank that maintains the freshness of water while reducing the growth of bacteria and algae.
This water purifier features a 5-stage RO water purification process that includes the use of a UV lamp to eliminate harmful germs and bacteria from RO purified water to make it absolutely safe for drinking.
This water purifier employs the most hygienic way of purifying water using digital sterilisation without any harmful chemicals. However, one should ensure to used LG-certified filters and genuine spare parts to retain the efficiency of the product.
Other useful features include a filter change indicator to alert you whenever a change of filter is due. This LG water purifier is one of the best water purifiers under Rs 20,000.
- Dual protection water purifying system
- Does not mix impure water to control TDS levels like some water purifiers do
- One of the best water purifiers for groundwater
- Excellent looks complemented by fantastic performance
- Does not have UV at the purification stage but compensates during the preservation stage
7. Faber Galaxy Plus RO + UV + UF + MAT 9L water purifier
This Faber Galaxy water purifier is better than the one discussed earlier because of its 8-stage filtration process.
The purification process includes a UV filtration procedure to take care of harmful germs and bacteria at the final stage of water purification. This enhanced level of water purification ensures that it is one of the best water purifiers available in India under Rs 15,000.
The highlights of this water purifier include its elegant designing that blends well with your kitchen décor and makes the water purifier look a part of the modern kitchen.
The ABS Food Grade Plastic tank also ensures to maintain the purity level of water during its storage.
- Fabulous design that enhances the look of your modern kitchen
- 8-stage filtration procedure including Ro, UV, and UF
- Can handle TDS levels up to 2500 ppm
- Service Quality is not up to the mark in some areas
8. Havells Max-Alkaline 7-litre RO + UV Water Purifier
Havells Max water purifier has a fantastic design, as it enables you to place the water purifier at the corners. The other water purifier designs discussed here have a rectangular shape that makes it challenging to place at the corners of the kitchen. Hence, this design has an advantage over the other water purifier designs.
Users can save a lot of space with Havells water purifier. On the performance front, the Havells water purifier ranks as among the best water purifiers in India in 2020 because it comes with fascinating features.
This Havells water purifier features a 7-stage water purification process that includes RO and UV water purification. It contains the standard sediment filter, activated carbon pre and post RO filtration, RO membrane, and Ultraviolet lamp water purification.
All RO water purifiers waste a lot of water during the water purification process. This RO water purifier is not different in this regard. Havells suggests reusing the wastewater for washing utensils, clothes, and for gardening purposes.
- Excellent design that permits users to hang the appliance at the corners without affecting its utility
- 7-stage water purification process including UV
- Revitaliser and Mineralz technology to enhance the pH value and improve alkalinity
- Maintenance can be expensive as with other RO water purifiers
9. Kent 11087 Pride TC Mineral RO Water Purifier
This Kent 11087 Price TC RO water purifier also belongs to the top drawer. It comes with excellent features like RO membrane and UF technology to provide high-quality purified water to its users.
The Kent 11087 Pride water purifier should classify as the best water purifier for municipal water because many municipalities take care of treating the germs and bacteria present in the water at their end before distributing it to the residents of the city.
This water purifier comes with a wall-mountable design and double purification technology that comprises of RO and UF coupled with the use of TDS controller at the final stage.
The fully automatic working feature entails that the appliance stops working after filling up the water storage tank. It starts working automatically as you use the water from the container.
The storage capacity of eight litres is ideal for a standard Indian family. It ensures that the family can get pure water even in the absence of electricity. Thus, this water purifier is useful in areas where there are high incidences of power outages.
- High-quality water purification performance
- Capable of purifying all kinds of source water
- Fully automatic operation
- Ideal for places where there is a low level of biological contamination
- No UV lamp to eliminate microorganisms in water
10. Eureka Forbes Aquasure – RO + UV + MTDS Water Purifier
Eureka Forbes is among the earliest manufacturers of water purification appliances in India. This model from Eureka Forbes comes with state-of-the-art purification processes like RO, UV, and MTDS, thereby ensuring the supply of pure and hygienic water to its users.
The Aquasure model employs multi-stage purification that is a combination of RO and UV.
The water purifier comes with long-lasting cartridges that can sustain its quality for more than 6000 litres. During the RO water purification process, the essential minerals get lost as well as the heavy metal contaminants. Therefore, the resultant water is pure but lacks nourishment.
Eureka Forbes has an extensive service network, whereby it becomes easy to service the appliance in case you face problems with the same.
- Excellent service network
- Impeccable performance
- One of the best water purifiers under Rs 10,000
- As with other RO water purifiers, this appliance wastes a lot of water during its purification
11. Kent Maxx 7-litres Wall Mountable/Table-Top UV + UF water purifier
Not all places in India have source water with TDS levels greater than 500. Many areas have good quality water with low TDS levels. However, such water can contain biological contaminants, visible, as well as invisible. Under such circumstances, you do not have to invest in an RO water purifier. A simple appliance with UF and UV filtration can do the job for you. This Kent Maxx water purifier is one such appliance.
This water purifier uses double water purification that includes UV and UF to make the water pure and safe to drink.
The UF membrane takes care of sediment impurities and other dissolved pollutants. The UV lamp ensures to kill germs and other microbes to make the water safe and hygienic to drink.
The transparent design adds to the attraction quotient by making it visually appealing. It is one of the best water purifiers under Rs 8,000.
- High-quality performance
- Ideal for places where the TDS levels are below 500 ppm
- Aesthetic design that adds glamour to your kitchen environment
- PAN India service network available
- Not the best appliance when it comes to dealing with TDS levels above 500 ppm
- Does not remove heavy metal impurities like lead, arsenic, and mercury
Water Purifier Buying Guide
Why do you need a water purifier?
You have hit the nail right on the head by asking this question. The water that is available in our taps is not exactly the best one to drink directly.
This water contains all kinds of contaminants one can imagine. It explains why many people boil water before drinking.
Boiling kills the germs, viruses, and bacteria from the water. At the same time, it kills the taste and flavour, as well but does not remove the salts from the water.
Therefore, one can resort to using water purifiers that can deliver high-quality drinking water that surprisingly, tastes good, as well.
Now the ‘Why’ part of the question is out of the way. Let us now concentrate on what to do before purchasing your water purifier.
Test the tap water
Of course, there are two ways of testing the tap water. One is to use your natural instincts, and the other is a scientific way with the use of a TDS meter or what we refer to as a water testing kit.
The natural way is to smell and taste the water. If it smells or tastes awful, you should go ahead and read the rest of the article.
At the same time, if it smells and tastes good, what should you do? You should still go ahead and read the article thoroughly.
Water that smells and tastes good is not necessarily the healthiest to drink.
Tap water in India contains soluble and insoluble impurities. Despite the municipalities purifying groundwater, the water can pick up contaminants on its way to your home.
It has to pass through pipes and tanks. Pipelines and tanks can be corroded. They can also have a mineral build-up. Both of these factors affect the quality of water.
Secondly, groundwater can have impurities like arsenic, antimony, lead, and so on. It can also contain Totally Dissolved Solids (TDS – we will be using this term frequently throughout the article).
TDS can comprise organic and inorganic salts including calcium, magnesium, potassium, chlorides, bicarbonates, and sulphates. Thus, it is good to use a TDS meter to determine the extent of TDS.
Where can you test the water?
You do not have to go to a laboratory to conduct the test. The TDS meter is a simple tool to use. It gives reasonably accurate results that should enable you to decide the type of water purifier you should have in your home.
How do you use the TDS meter?
A digital TDS meter should not cost more than a few hundred rupees. Invest in one, as it will prove useful to you for life. Here is how you use the TDS meter.
Step 1 – Determine the temperature of water in the following way
- Switch on the TDS meter and press the TEMP button.
- Place the meter inside the glass of water and note down its temperature.
- Return to the TDS mode by pressing the TEMP button again.
Step 2 – Measure the TDS level
- Remove the protective cap of the TDS meter and turn the TDS meter on.
- Immerse the TDS meter in the glass of water up to the maximum immersion level marked on the device.
- If there are any bubbles in the water, stir it gently to get rid of them.
- Wait for about 10 seconds and allow the reading to stabilise.
- Press the HOLD option and remove the device to note down the reading.
Now, you have the reading. What should you do now? This table will give you a good idea about what the reading conveys.
|TDS Level||Reasons for acceptability or Non-acceptance|
|Less than 50||Water with such a low level of TDS does not contain any essential minerals. It will be tasteless. It is not an acceptable range.|
|50 to 150||It is an acceptable level. However, if you have an RO water purifier at home, ensure that the TDS level is not below 80|
|150 to 200||This level is acceptable. Hospitals usually have this level of TDS in their water supply. It is ideal for maintaining cardiovascular fitness|
|250 to 350||Most of the Indian homes have tap water in this range. It is an acceptable range|
|350 to 500||BIS guidelines state that TDS levels up to 500 are acceptable.|
|500 to 900||As this level is not acceptable, use an RO water purifier with TDS controller/mineraliser.|
|900 to 1200||It is better to use an RO water purifier of good quality with TDS controller.|
|1200 to 2000||It is a highly unacceptable range. You will need an excellent RO water purifier that can handle water with TDS levels up to 2000.|
|Above 2000||Most of the RO water purifiers in the market cannot handle such a high level of TDS.|
We shall now look at the type of water purifier you should buy depending on the TDS level in the source water.
|TDS Level||Water Quality||Viruses/Bacteria||Ideal water purifier|
|Below 500||Good||Yes||UV water purifier should be sufficient|
|Below 500||Muddy/turbid||Yes||Go for a UV + UF water purifier|
|Above 500||Good||Yes||RO + UV water purifier with TDS controller/mineraliser should be okay|
|Above 500||Muddy/turbid||Yes||RO + UV + UF water purifier with mineraliser/TDS controller should be ideal|
|Above 2000||NA||NA||Unfit for domestic consumption|
You have done your homework correctly. Now, you know the TDS level as well as the water quality.
You should go ahead and purchase the ideal water purifier. Let us now discuss what these specific terms, TDS, UV, UF, RO, and so on signify. It will help you understand the basics well.
TDS – Totally Dissolved Solids
TDS can come in various forms. We shall now segregate our population into three distinct types
People living in villages and relying on natural sources of water
Village folk usually do not get piped water supply from municipalities. They rely on natural sources of water such as wells, borewells, rivers, and lakes.
These people use well water to cater to all requirements, domestic and agricultural.
If you venture into a village, you will find domestic animals like cows, buffaloes, goats, and dogs sharing the well water with humans. Naturally, there can be high levels of contaminants.
Secondly, industries in the vicinity of the villages dump their toxic wastes into the rivers and lakes.
The groundwater resources also get polluted due to the indiscriminate release of harmful metals like lead, arsenic, mercury, and so on. All these impurities, visible and impurities constitute TDS.
However, one should note that not all TDS is bad. The groundwater contains useful minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium, but the harmful TDS makes it necessary for village folk to invest in a good-quality RO water purifier and with a TDS controller.
We shall look into this aspect when we discuss RO water purification.
Those having access to piped water supply from municipalities
From the rural folk, we move towards the urban population that depends on municipal water supply. Many people have borewells in their homes.
Such people have an advantage over the rural people because the municipality undertakes the job of purification of water before distributing them to the residents through pipes (underground or over the ground).
Municipalities use RO water purification techniques to eliminate TDS and other contaminants. However, the RO-purified water collects impurities during transit from the municipal tanks to the homes.
Usually, the pipes supplying water to the residents are subject to corrosion, leaks, and rusting. Therefore, these households get water with visible impurities.
A UF and UV water purifier should be enough to purify the water, as the municipality has already taken care of RO.
Homes depending on borewells should determine the TDS levels before choosing the type of water purifier. It is always better to go for RO + UV + UF water purifier to be safe on all counts.
India has a vast coastal area with millions of people depending on salty groundwater for their consumption needs.
This water has a high level of TDS. Therefore, they should prefer the RO + UV + UV water purifier with TDS controller or mineraliser for domestic consumption.
We shall now discuss the different types of water filtering methods such as UV, UF, and RO. The concept should be clear before you decide to purchase the water purifier of your choice.
Different Types of Water Purification Systems
We shall now discuss the working principle of an RO water purifier.
RO Water Purifier – Working principle
The RO water purifiers available in the market employ a six-level or seven-level water filtration process.
Comparison between different water purification systems
We have seen the different types of water purification systems in the above paragraphs. Each of these systems has its advantages and disadvantages. This comparison will highlight the difference between these systems and clear the concept.
Reverse Osmosis vs Ultra-Violet (RO vs UV)
Reverse Osmosis vs Ultra-Filtration (RO vs UF)
Ultra-Violet vs Ultra-Filtration (UV vs UF)